Wednesday, August 24, 2011

"Bigot Brutality" Step One

"Bigot Brutality" jumped into my brain as soon as I sat down to conjure up an illustration for The Letter B. Before my pen even touched my notebook, my imagination was overflowing with images of demonic police officers dispensing a one-sided, hate-fueled beat down to an unarmed Black man. I even sketched rough layouts for a couple other B concepts. But I always fell back, right into this piece.



While my illustration is based on the violence of the 1960's era Civil Rights Movement, this is easily a universal & timeless issue. Sadly, no matter where or when you are in this world, you're never really too far from the lurking evil of authoritarian savagery.


The concept drawings above are both 11 x 17", ink and gesso on paper. Check in for a special Thursday post, tomorrow, to see the next step for this illustration!

"Five to one, baby. One in five. No one here gets out alive."
- Dave

1 comment:

  1. Judging by your music selections on FB, I can see why this one popped up so easy. ;) Looks like it's gonna be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete