Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Bigot Brutality"


At last, here's the finished painting for "Bigot Brutality." I had to scramble to get this done in between other work (and I do mean scramble!). But it was a fun exercise in acrylic glazes, for me.



Much like "Almost Anonymous," the approach on this was relatively traditional. I laid down light washes, slowly building up my under-painting. And as things got more developed, the more opaquely I started to paint. There's actually a ton of transparency in this piece.


The odd thing about fine art illustration is that it's much more subjective to mood and artsy musings than say, a random freelance job. I can't tell you how many times I found myself gazing thoughtfully out the studio window, glass of bourbon in hand, pondering the volatile nature of race relations and acrylic paint....

Tune in tomorrow for the start of my illustration for The Letter C - "Coral Carnivore!"

"No rapper can rap quite like I can! I'll take a musclebound man and put his face in the sand!"
- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment