Monday, May 23, 2011

"Properly Puffed"

A total blast from the past, today's piece is a shout out to the project that got me into this strange, funny book business -- Puffed. It was on a fateful day of Wizard World Chicago '02, that I met John Layman. He told me he dug my art and thought it would be perfect for a story he was working on.

JL: "Yeah, it's about a kid trapped in a dragon costume. And everyone he meets tries to kick his ass or kill him."
DC: "Cool. Like Death To Smoochie?"
JL: (glaring) "No. Not like Death To Smoochie."

A month later, we had put together a full-on pitch, complete with character designs and the first few pages. And by that autumn, Puffed #1 came out through Image Comics. And thus, my life of Nerd Legend entered an epic new chapter!

9 x 12 / mixed media on watercolor paper
$125 for US / $135 for international (includes shipping)
To purchase, email Dave Crosland

No comments:

Post a Comment