Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Unscrupulous Usurper"

As a boy, I was a total fiend for The Transformers. I watched the cartoon from the very first airing of the pilot episode. Then my folks bought me a Bumblejumper* toy and a couple coloring books, thus cementing my addiction to "robots in disguise." Years later, right around junior high, I discovered The Transformers comic books that Marvel was publishing. And those ended up being the very first comics I would ever own.

In all of the series' incarnations, Starscream has been one of my favorite villains. He's a viscious, back-stabbing bastard with his eyes on Megatron's throne. And he craves power so unabashedly, it's nearly suicidal. Of all the Decepticons, Starscream challenges Megatron outright on a near-daily basis. Sure, he usually gets stomped out and ends up grovelling for forgiveness. But before all the sniveling and crawling, Starscream shows some Omega Supreme-sized robo-balls. Now that's some evil I can respect.


*Bumblejumper was this mixed-up Transformers toy. He was the Bumblebee mold, cast in Cliffjumper red. Oh, those zany 80's!

9 x 12 / mixed media on watercolor paper
$206 for US / $215 for international (includes shipping)
To purchase, email Dave Crosland

1 comment:

  1. man if i wasnt shootin for Trickster next month i would get this. the hands are AMAZING, especially that right fist!!

    ReplyDelete